Bear Conservation
 Moderated by: Fergie Bear  

Print
AuthorPost
sydneyst
Administrator

Posted: Tue Nov 17th, 2009 06:12 am

Sun Bear Project Saves Borneo Bears

http://www.orangutans.com.au/Orangutans-Survival-Information/BOS-Sun-Bear-Sanctuary.aspx

The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation is best known for its efforts in orangutan rescue and rehabilitation. But BOS is also involved in the rescue of the Malayan sun bear.  At present 52 bears are protected at the Samboja Lestari Bear Sanctuary (SLBS). 

Because sun bears are primarily a solitary animal and known to be aggressive in captivity,  keepers were concerned that they might not adjust and might turn their aggression against their mates. 

However, since the opening of the sanctuary in September 2008, a remarkable environmental and behavioural transformation has been occurring.  Aggression has been minimal.  The bears have responded to an environment rich in opportunities for play.  These include ample vegetative cover and diverse objects to explore and play with. Proper nutrition also seems to be a contributing factor. 

Attached Image (viewed 487 times):

subears1.jpg

Last edited on Tue Nov 17th, 2009 05:54 pm by sydneyst

sydneyst
Administrator

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 04:35 am

Center for Biological Diversity Advocates for Polar Bears

Photo: USFWS
excerpt from CBD
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/mammals/polar_bear/index.html

SAVING THE POLAR BEAR The great white polar bear is the youngest and largest of the world’s bear species — a mighty hunter and fierce defender of its young that’s among the world’s most vulnerable animals. Polar bears could be extinct by 2050 if greenhouse gas-fueled global warming keeps melting their Arctic sea-ice habitat.

The Center has led the charge to save polar bears from extinction. We wrote the 2005 scientific petition calling for the bear’s protection under the Endangered Species Act, and we filed suit with our partners to force the administration to take action on that petition. Three years after the petition, in March 2008, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service still hadn’t finalized its decision, so we filed suit again. On April 28, a judge ruled in our favor and ordered the Service to issue a final listing decision by May 15.

Just a day before the new deadline, then-Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne announced that the polar bear would be listed as threatened — a conservation victory with far-reaching consequences. But at the same time. Kempthorne vowed he wouldn’t let the listing affect U.S. climate policy, executing an illegal interim final “4(d)” rule exempting greenhouse gas emissions and oil development — by far the two leading threats to the bear — from regulation under the Endangered Species Act. We immediately filed new court papers, which earned the administration’s promise to designate critical habitat for the species. But in December 2008, Kempthorne announced his final 4(d) rule, which was even more damaging than the interim rule. Our lawsuit against the original rule is ongoing, and we continue to defend the bear’s listing from all challenges — including attempts to overturn it by interests such as a trophy-hunting group and the state of Alaska.

The polar bear got a new chance at true protections in March 2009, when Congress gave Interior Secretary Ken Salazar the power to rescind the 4(d) rule with the stroke of a pen. But the day before his deadline to do just that, Salazar announced he would turn his back on the polar bear and leave the rule in place, ignoring hundreds of thousands of citizen petitions to save the bear (94,000 from Center supporters) — as well as requests from more than 1,300 scientists, more than 50 prominent legal experts, dozens of lawmakers, and more than 130 conservation organizations. Armed with this support and our own drive to save the bear, the Center will continue our fight to safeguard the species against its two biggest threats.

Last edited on Wed Aug 12th, 2009 04:42 am by sydneyst

sydneyst
Administrator

Posted: Fri Aug 7th, 2009 04:20 pm

Man on a Mission to Save Sun Bears in Malaysia
excerpts from blog of Siew Te Wong at: http://sunbears.wildlifedirect.org/about-siew-te-wong/

Sun bears are the least know bears and a forgotten bears species as I always call them. Certainly, it is not surprise that not many people know who I am and thus a proper introduction is needed for the readers of this blog to get to know me better as well as my work with sun bears …

I am a Malaysian Chinese, born in 1969 and raised in Penang at northern Peninsular Malaysia. ..

In 1994, I came to University of Montana to seek a dream that was considered as “difficult task” for many people from ordinary Asian family. .. In 1998, I began to study the ecology of Malayan sun bears in a rainforest of Malaysian Borneo as a project for M.S. thesis.

For the first time, the study revealed the mysterious life history of this little known bear and many ecological aspects of Bornean rainforest. ..

Since I started my plan to study sun bear, my interest on them grows daily. .. I often visited places where I heard sun bear were held in captivities: zoo, mini zoos, crocodile farms, private menageries, and even private homes. ..

Most wildlife like the sun bears is forest dependent species. They simply cannot survive outside the forest. My experience working in Southeast Asia shows desperate situation for the continuation of local forests. Much more work is needed to ensure the long-term survival of the native wildlife and forests.

In many parts of Southeast Asia, the tropical forests are disappearing rapidly to a point where too late to do anything. In contrast, due to the economy and political stability, Malaysia still has a chance for conservationists to save the last stronghold of Southeast Asian rainforests and wildlife. We need distinguished biologists to train local students as conservationists and biologists, to educate public and government on the importance of conservation, and to study the flora and fauna in order to understand better its functions. I am and I was, trained as an “animal expert” or wildlife biologist for all these years. I hope to use these knowledge and training to do a great job in my career to conserve wildlife and forests.

Last edited on Wed Aug 12th, 2009 04:43 am by sydneyst

Current time is 05:21 am
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2