Sydney's Forum Home

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
Sydney's Forum > Main Discussion Categories > Eco-News and Opinion > Animal Treatment: Zoos and Circuses

Animal Treatment: Zoos and Circuses
 Moderated by: Fergie Bear  

Print
AuthorPost
sydneyst
Administrator

Posted: Mon Nov 16th, 2009 05:15 pm

India Zoos Will No Longer Hold Elephants
Government Decree After Investigation

http://www.elephants.com/newsStory.php?newsID=1203

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/flora-fauna/Elephants-to-be-banished-from-all-zoos/articleshow/5221159.cms

excerpts:
2009-11-12

NEW DELHI: Delhi Zoo will soon be bidding farewell to its three elephants. In fact, elephants will no longer be seen in any zoo or circus in the country after the Central Zoo Authority (CZA) issued a notice on Monday to the effect that all of these animals in zoos, numbering about 140, should be sent to national parks, sanctuaries and tiger reserves as soon as possible.

The decision was taken after evaluating conditions of elephants at various zoos and circuses.

photo: Animal Sanctuary Hohenwald, Tn.

Attached Image (viewed 84 times):

sanctuaryelies.jpg

Last edited on Mon Nov 16th, 2009 05:29 pm by sydneyst

sydneyst
Administrator

Posted: Tue Jun 9th, 2009 06:39 pm

Why Kids Don't Need to Go to Circuses

see:  http://www.peta.org/feat-circusmom.asp?c=cmg08&gclid=CMyAkdLc_ZoCFQ6jagodtH1GdQ

from PETA:
by Kathy Guillermo

Like every mother‚ I want to raise children to be strong‚ confident‚ and compassionate. I want my kids to understand that the choices that we make may affect others in profound ways and that we must be especially careful not to harm—or support others who harm—those who are defenseless. Just as we would never hit or yell at our dog‚ Jenny‚ we would never support cruelty by going to the circus.

When other mothers ask me about this‚ I tell them the following:
  1. Circuses chain‚ cage‚ and hurt animals. Even if the audience doesn’t see it‚ we know that elephants are shackled for their entire lives‚ beaten by handlers who want to establish dominance‚ and separated from their families. Animals in circuses can’t make even one decision about their own lives. They live and travel in caged squalor.
  2. Children identify with animals. Like animals in the circus‚ children are completely at the mercy of stronger beings. If they see animals who are being humiliated and forced to perform unnatural acts‚ they get the message loud and clear that it is acceptable to bully weaker beings.
  3. What children really want is time with their families. Having fun with their parents and siblings is what matters—and there are so many great activities that are both fun and humane. Toddlers love shows such as Dora Live and those put on by The Wiggles‚ while my school-age kids want to go to science and art museums and attend baseball games. Even a simple game night at home can be a wonderful‚ warm experience.
  4. There are better ways to learn about animals than going to the circus. Volunteer at a wildlife rescue center‚ or check out a great documentary about animals in their own homes. Visit Elephants.com and see—via live video feed—elephants who now live in a spacious sanctuary after being rescued from circuses and zoos.

Last edited on Tue Jun 9th, 2009 06:45 pm by sydneyst

Current time is 07:11 am